Recipes by Di Swann
Using the finest Hawke’s Bay tomatoes, which have been crushed & then sieved to create a smooth puree, Passata can be used as a base for great-tasting pasta sauces, soups or casseroles.
1. Turn the slow cooker on to low to preheat. In a small bowl combine the chopped parsley, basil, crushed garlic and olive oil to make a paste. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Using your fingers carefully work your way under the skin of the breast of the chicken to make a pocket. Spread the herb paste under the skin.
3. Place the lemon in the cavity of the chicken. Tuck the wings under and tie the legs together.
4.Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan. Add the bacon and leeks and cook until the leeks soften. Transfer to the slow cooker. Add the celery and carrots. Place the chicken onto the vegetables.
5. In a jug mix Wattie’s Tomato Passata, Wattie’s Tomato Paste and balsamic vinegar together. Pour around the base of the chicken. Cover.
6. Cook on low for 5-6 hours until the chicken is cooked.
7. Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place on a serving platter. Season sauce to taste with freshly ground black pepper and a little salt if required. Serve with mashed poatotes and seasonal green vegetables.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare as for slow cooker but place ingredients in an ovenproof dish. Cover. Place in the oven and cook for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender.