- 750 g (or 4 medium sized) potatoes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2-3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 400 g can Wattie's Chunky Tomato and Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
1. Scrub potatoes and cook in boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes until still firm inside when tested with a small knife. Drain and cool for 10 minutes.
2. Peel off the potato skin. Working quickly to keep the potato warm, coarsely grate the potato and put in a bowl with parmesan, basil, spring onions, pinenuts and egg. Season with salt and pepper and mix together. With your hands, shape into 8 small cakes.
3. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan until quite hot. Pan fry the potato cakes 3-4 at a time until crispy on both sides.
4. Heat the Wattie's Chunky Tomato and Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce while cooking the potato cakes. Serve the potato cakes, hot with plenty of sauce garnished with extra basil leaves and grated parmesan cheese if wished.