Gluten free option:
To make these scones gluten free replace the standard self-raising flour with gluten free self-raising flour. You may find that you will need a little extra lemonade as the gluten free flour tends to absorb more liquid than the standard flour, but make sure you end up with a soft dough. To make the crosses either use gluten free pastry or make a cross by using the back of a knife to make indentations in the dough. Brush the buns with the cinnamon glaze before cooking as per the recipe.
- If you don’t have a 6cm diameter cookie cutter use a glass of a similar size diameter, making sure it is well dusted with flour.
- The tin should hold 12 scones.
- If you don’t have a tin, you can place individual scones on a tray, ensuring to keep them close together to avoid spreading. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- If you have any dough left over these can be made into individual scones and baked on a tray for 15-20 minutes.
- Replace raisins with sultanas if wished.
- If you don’t like raisins or sultanas add ½ cup of chocolate chips in place of the fruit.
- Instead of butter, you can serve with your favourite jam.