always popular at our house; and so easy to prepare
Creamy Smoked Chicken Filo Pie
If you’ve always thought Filo pastry was filed under ‘fiddly’, think again. It’s as easy as brushing thin sheets of filo with oil and layering them. File under ‘dead simple.’
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp chopped marjoram or oregano
- 2 Tbsp sundried tomatoes,sliced (optional)
- 1 Tegel Smoked Chicken
- 250g creme fraiche
- 12 filo pastry sheets
- 3-4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
1. Cook the onions in a dash of oil, in a heated pan for 3-5 minutes until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the herbs and sundried tomatoes if using, and cool.
2. Tear the Tegel Smoked Chicken into bite-sized pieces and toss into the mushroom mixture with the creme fraiche and season with salt and pepper.
3. Brush 8 sheets of the filo pastry with butter or spray with oil and place into a 24cm flan tin. Fill with the chicken and mushroom mixture and then flip the overhanging filo pastry edges into the centre.
4. Brush the remaining sheets of filo with butter and place on top of the pie. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if wished and bake at 190oC for 40 minutes.
Creme fraiche requires no reducing down and does not curdle if boiled or mixed with wine.