- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 rashers bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 400 g can Wattie’s Tomato Passata
- 4 cups chopped vegetables - potato, carrot, courgettes, green beans
- 400 g can Wattie's Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or basil
1. Heat a dash of oil in a large saucepan. Add the bacon, onion, celery and garlic and cook over medium heat until the vegetables have softened.
2. Add the oregano, chicken stock, Wattie’s Tomato Passata and chopped vegetables to the saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3.Add the drained Wattie’s Red Kidney Beans and return to the boil. Simmer for a further 3 to 4 minutes or until the beans are hot. Stir in the parsley or basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Using the finest Hawke’s Bay tomatoes, which have been crushed & then sieved to create a smooth puree, Passata can be used as a base for great-tasting pasta sauces, soups or casseroles.
Red kidney beans are a convenient way to make your meat dishes go further. Add them to mince recipes, soups, stews and casseroles to make the meal go further, whilst also bumping up the protein and dietary fibre.