Absolutely delicious. A bit of ginger adds a nice zing.
Boysenberry and Pear Shortcake
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 175 g butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp cold water or milk
- 1/2 cup Craig’s Boysenberry Jam
- 410g can Wattie’s Pear Quarters in Clear Fruit Juice, drained and thickly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Rub together flour, baking powder, semolina, caster sugar and butter in a mixing bowluntil the mixture resembles crumbs.
3. Add beaten egg and water or milk and mix until the mixture forms small moist balls ofdough. Take 2/3 of the mixture, lightly knead and press out to fit a 20 x 30cm slice tin.
4. Spread with Craig’s Boysenberry Jam, arrange sliced Wattie’s Pear Quarters evenly over jam. Scatter with remaining crumbled dough.
5. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack, cut into 12pieces.Serve warm as a dessert with custard, yoghurt or cream, any leftoverswill make popular lunch box fillers.
You do not have to use semolina, but it will add a delicious crunchiness to the shortbread. Replace with an extra 1/2 cup flour.