This was so easy and with a fan bake oven cooked well within 40 mins. Loved by both kids and adults, plenty to go around.
Blackberry Bread and Butter Pudding
Butter up the family or flatmates with this pudding! This Blackberry Bread and Butter Pudding layers jam, butter and bread together and slowly bakes in a mixture of crème fraiche and orange rind then served with a warm blackberry sauce. How can they resist?
- 50g softened butter
- 7-8 thick slices crusty bread
- 375g jar Craig's Blackberry Jam
- 250g pottle creme fraiche
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1-2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Craig's Blackberry Jam
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
To test if a baked custard is set, pierce the centre of the custard with a knife, if it comes out clean (though wet) the custard is cooked. If the knife is not clean, continue cooking a little longer.
1. Preheat oven to180ºC. Spread the bread slices evenly with the butter and 1/2 cup of the Craig’s Blackberry Jam. Make into sandwiches and cut into quarters diagonally. Arrange in a greased ovenproof baking dish.
2. Beat the crème fraiche with the eggs, caster sugar and orange zest until thick and creamy. Gradually add the milk before gently pouring over the bread.
3. Bake in a water bath for about 1 hour or until the custard is set.
Serve warm with Blackberry Sauce.
Gently heat Craig’s Blackberry Jam with orange juice, do not boil, sieve to remove the seeds before serving.